Note: Many press items related to specific Deliberative Polling® events can be viewed on the timeline pages for those events.
- Letter from the Chairman, Great Hural (Parliment), Mongolia 2/2020
Deliberative Poll played key role in amendments to Mongolia’s constitution
- Opinion: There is Hope for How We Talk About Politics The Pilot 1/2020 PDF
- Webinar: ‘America in One Room’ and the Future of Democracy with Professors James Fishkin and Larry Diamond Jan. 29, 2020, 7:30 PM (Eastern)
- Opinion: There is nothing wrong with changing your mind Financial Times 12/2019 PDF
- Democracy Dies Amid Lies, and So Does Sound Policy The National Interest 10/2019 PDF
- Stanford Researchers Bring Together People With Different Political Views WBUR, Here and Now 10/2019 MP3 PDF
- Axios 1 Big Thing: The limits of political tribalism MSNBC 10/2019 MP4
- What Would Happen If American Voters All Got Together And Talked Politics? FiveThirtyEight 10/2019 PDF
- What Would Happen If American Voters All Got Together And Talked Politics? FiveThirtyEight 10/2019 PDF
- Why Is It Important for People With Different Political Beliefs to Talk to Each Other? The New York Times Learning Network 10/2019
Students 13 and older are asked to comment on the importance of interacting with people of different political beliefs and the America in One Room experiment.
- These 526 Voters Represent All of America: And They Spent A Weekend Together The New York Times 10/2019 PDF
- Opinion: This Experiment Has Some Great News for Our Democracy The New York Times 10/2019 PDF
The idea that our divisions are entrenched and unbridgeable is overstated.
- Field Experiment: What I Learned from Listening to Americans Deliberate The American Interest 9/2019 PDF
Turns out most Americans want the same thing: to be heard and understood.
- Democracy in America is failing — here’s how we can still make it work Vanity Fair/HIVE 9/2019 PDF
An experiment now under way in Texas is testing a radical proposition: What if voters actually knew what they were talking about?
- North Texas hosts ‘America in One Room’ poll for 2020 presidential election The Dallas Morning News 9/2019 PDF
- Democracy in America is failing — here’s how we can still make it work Salon 9/2019 PDF
Democracy is supposed to reflect the will of the people. That’s not happening now — but there are ways to fix it.
- Opinion: What if There’s a Better Way to Handle Our Democratic Debate? The New York Times 8/2019 PDF
Americans can have serious and respectful conversations across our deep divides.
- Opinion: Deliberative democracy is just what politics needs Financial Times 8/2019 PDF
Measures such as citizens assemblies can combat rising polarisation.
- John Dickerson discusses upcoming America in One Room Deliberative Poll Slate’s Political Gabfest 7/2019 MP3
- What Happens When a Group of Strangers Spends a Day Debating Immigration? The New Yorker 7/2019 PDF
At the end of the event, more participants believed that undocumented immigrants should have legal options for staying and working in the country, that they should be able to pay in-state tuition rates, and that they should be provided with public counsel during immigration hearings.
- America in One Room
America in One Room is a historic gathering of 500 American voters who will participate in a nonpartisan discussion about the major issues of the 2020 presidential election.
- Sondages: la fabrique d’une arme politique, France Culture 4/2019 MP3
“Ce qui m’intéresse, argumente-t-il d’emblée, c’est ce que penseraient les gens s’ils discutaient avec respect avec des personnes d’un avis opposé, et qu’ils avaient de bonnes informations, parce que généralement, ils n’ont pas les bonnes informations”.
- Power to the people – could a citizens’ assembly solve the Brexit crisis? The Guardian 1/2019 PDF
- Revitalizing Our Politics through Public Deliberation 12/2018
James Fishkin addresses the Royal Society of the Arts in London.
- KPFA Rising Up: Sonali Kolhatkar interviews James Fishkin KPFA 9/2018 MP3
Fishkin discusses his new book “Democracy When the People Are Thinking: Revitalizing Our Politics Through Public Deliberation”.
- Democracy When the People are Thinking 7/2018
James Fishkin speaking at the TedX Design High School.
- Democracy When the People are Thinking 5/2018
James Fishkin speaking at the American Philosophical Society Annual Meeting.
- New MOU between Åbo Akademi University and Stanford University within the area of democracy research Åbo Akademi University 5/2018
The MOU, which was signed with the Stanford Center for Deliberative Democracy, primarily involves researcher mobility and joint research.
- How the EU is trying to find out what on Earth Europeans want The Economist 5/2018 PDF
Long chats with ordinary voters yield interesting results.
- Democracy has to be about more than just casting a vote The Guardian 5/2018 PDF
Graham Allen says enhancing the electorate could be one way of improving the system to address the flaws in western democratic politics.
- Democracy 2050: International experts analyze the future of democracy
ICARE, Chilean Institute of Rational Business Administration held a forum about deliberative democracy and its future in Chile. James Fishkin was one of the featured speakers.
- Democracy When the People are Thinking 11/2017
This talk by James Fishkin was a part of the Hannah Arendt Center’s 10th annual conference, “Crises of Democracy: Thinking in Dark Times”.
- Electoral Reform: Are there better ways to consult the public than opinion surveys? Vancouver Sun 11/2017 PDF
We have a chance in B.C. in the coming year to carefully consider the fairness, effectiveness, inclusiveness, and stability of our electoral system. Before we make up our minds, it would be good to really understand the choices. Deliberative Polling is one option that might get us, affordably and quickly, to that goal.
- La proposition de M. Macron de consulter les citoyens sur l’Europe est nécessaire et réalisable Le Monde 9/2017 PDF
Deux experts politologues estiment, dans une tribune au « Monde », qu’un outil existe pour réaliser le souhait du président de la République d’organiser une grande consultation sur l’avenir de l’Europe : le « sondage délibératif ».
- Deliberative Polling for Constitutional Change in Mongolia: An Unprecedented Experiment ConstitutionNet 9/2017 PDF
Professor Fishkin and MP Zandanshatar conclude that the experience attests to the unique value of Deliberative Polling as a modality of public participation in constitutional reform processes.
- [주간조선] ‘공론조사 창시자’ 피시킨 교수 단독 인터뷰 출처 Chosun Daily 8/2017 PDF, PDF (English translation)
The heat of debates over suspending the construction of the Shin Kori nuclear power plant 5 and 6, a decision that would be a milestone in the Moon government’s anti-nuclear power policy, shows no sign of abating. The government has commissioned the Public Opinion Committee for the Shin Kori 5 and 6, which was set up in July, to come to a decision.
- Opinion: Deliberative polling a route to electoral reform Vancouver Sun 8/2017 PDF
- New Dædalus Issue on “The Prospects & Limits of Deliberative Democracy” 6/2017
“Democracy is under siege.” So begins the Summer 2017 issue of Dædalus on “The Prospects & Limits of Deliberative Democracy.” In their introduction to the issue, editors James S. Fishkin and Jane Mansbridge consider the crisis of confidence in the ideal of democracy as rule by the people.
- Deliberative Polling and the Future of Mongolia’s Constitution The Asia Foundation 5/2017 PDF
The two-day event stimulated discussion and gathered citizen input on critical issues ranging from the powers of the president and ensuring the independence of the civil society, to the pressures of urbanization and the frequency of elections
- Collaboration at Stanford leads to Mongolian parliament passing law on public opinion polling Stanford Report 5/2017 PDF
A meeting between Stanford communications Professor James Fishkin and Gombojav Zandanshatar, a member of Mongolia’s parliament, inspired a new law that requires an in-depth method of public opinion polling to take place before an amendment to Mongolia’s constitution can be enacted.
- West African urban polls find clean water top priority Reuters 3/2017 PDF
- This time, the republic movement must be community driven The Sydney Morning Herald 2/2016 PDF
- What’s the Voters’ Problem? That’s a Lot Harder to Determine than You Might Suspect. History News Network Blog 1/2016 PDF
Rick Shenkmen discusses Deliberative Polling® in his book Political Animals: How Our Stone Age Brain Gets in the Way of Smart Politics
- The key to deliberative democracy is grasping the public’s opinion (language: Chinese) Tencent Culture 12/2015 PDF
- When the People Speak book launched in China (language: Chinese) inews.qq.com 12/2015 PDF
- Os políticos estão cada vez mais distantes das pessoas Entrevista 12/2015 PDF
- Como tornar a democracia mais significativa e fazer melhores cidadãos Gazeta Do Povo 12/2015 PDF
Read the english translation of the Gazeta Do Povo interview with James Fishkin.
- Democracia deliberativa – ouvindo o povo (language: Portuguese) Gazeta Do Povo 12/2015 PDF
- Here’s a concept: Have voters actually inform our politicians Michigan Radio 9/2015 PDF MP3
So what’s the Next Idea? Deliberative Polling is a way to bring together the members of a diverse society to discuss issues and inform leaders about public opinion.
- Empowering the people with ‘deliberative democracy’ The Tampa Tribune 7/2015 PDF
- Britain Should Deliberate Before It Votes on Europe Huffington Post UK 6/2015 PDF
Op-ed piece by Deliberation Day authors Bruce Ackerman and James Fishkin
- It’s Not A Come-On From A Satanic Cult. It’s A New Kind Of Poll! NPR 5/2015 PDF MP3
NPR’s Morning Edition reports on the unique challenges of Deliberative Polling® in Tanzania
- TechCrunch Deliberation on Immigration 12/2014
A sample of TechCrunch readers participated in a controlled experiment with video based online discussions in small groups after which they posed questions to competing experts.
- Deliberative and Participatory Democracy: Theory and Practice 5/2014
A conference on Deliberative and Participatory Democracy was held May 30-31, 2014 at Stanford University.
- The Law of Deliberative Democracy 12/2013
View symposium papers from the Election Law Journal: Rules, Politics, and Policy
- Book Excerpt: How the Public Got Behind Texas Wind Power, The Texas Tribune 9/2013 PDF
The renewable-energy epiphany that launched Texas wind power came through an unexpected channel: public opinion polls in the mid-1990s. An excerpt from The Great Texas Wind Rush.
- Global Citizen Foundation: Towards a Better Global Economy Project 7/2013
James S. Fishkin keynotes Geneva Conference for the Global Citizen Foundation.
- There’s a Better Way to Bypass Stalled Officials The New York Times 7/2013
At both the local and state levels, there is a way to get voters more involved in setting the agenda, by creating a representative and thoughtful way for the people to determine whether a proposition should go on the ballot.
- Translation: Lesson to political parties: here is the method for really listening to citizens Reset 6/2012 James Fishkin and Raffaele Calabretta
- Sichuan Workshop on Deliberative Democracy and Public Consultation Sichuan University (China) 6/2012
- When Citizens Deliberate A New Science of Virtues
What are the virtues of democratic citizenship when voters are bombarded by WMD—by which I mean “weapons of mass distraction”
- INTERVIEW/ James Fishkin: Deliberative Polling should be used in key policy issues like energy The Asahi Shimbun 2/2012
- A California experiment in democracy San Francisco Chronicle 1/2012
- How to Fix California’s Democracy Crisis The New York Times 10/2011
- The Deliberative Corporation wins McKinsey/Harvard Business Review M-Prize 9/2011
View the proposal The Deliberative Corporation: A technology-supported process for sustainable decision-making and the Financial Times article about the prize.
- Deliberative Democracy and the Virtues of Democratic Citizenship New Science of Virtues 4/2011
- Our Times: Craig Barnes interviews James Fishkin
Instead of reasoned exchanges, our population has segregated itself into like minded and self-confirming cliques. Deliberative Polling® creates an environment where people are exposed to alternative points of view and can be informed on the subject matter.
- How Can a Democracy Solve Tough Problems? TIME.com 11/2010
Should Obama use Deliberative Polling® rather than a blue-ribbon commission to make hard choices?
- Symposium: James S. Fishkin’s When the People Speak The Good Society 7/2010
- Government as if Listening Mattered 7/2010
Personal Democracy Forum with James Fishkin, Jane Mansbridge, Howard Rheingold and David Weinberger
- Ancient Athens online: Democracy is about discussion, not just voting the Economist 5/2010
- Why the Lib Dems do well out of TV debates The Guardian 4/2010
- Deliberative Democracy and the Internet C-SPAN 11/2009
James S. Fishkin made the “keynote” presentation about When the People Speak on C-span.
- Read chapter 1 of When the People Speak – Democratic Aspirations
- When the People Speak: Deliberative Democracy and Public Consultation now available
In this book, James Fishkin combines a new theory of democracy with actual practice and shows how an idea that harks back to ancient Athens can be used to revive our modern democracies. See an excerpt from “Europe in One Room”, the DVD that accompanies the book.
- The People Can Make Hard Budget Choices SF Gate 2/2010
- WMD Found — Weapons of Mass Distraction SF Gate 9/2009
- Consulting the People — Thoughtfully SF Gate 8/2009
- ‘Athens’ on the Net The New York Times 9/2009
- Beyond Westminster BBC Radio 4 8/2009
BBC Radio Four examines Deliberative Polling® and other forms of public consultation.
- Town Halls by Invitation The New York Times 8/2009
In a New York Times opinion piece, James Fishkin suggests Deliberative Polling® as a method for members of Congress and their constituents to discuss health care.
- Nuevas tendencias para medir la opinión pública Universidad Diego Portales 8/2009
La encuesta deliberativa es un instrumento de medición diseñado por la Universidad de Stanford y será presentado por Alice Siu, Subdirectora del Centro de Estudios Deliberativos de dicha casa de estudios.
- Considered Public Opinion in Policy Reform The World Bank Group
- Campaign ’08: How was it for you Jim Fishkin? Open Source 10/2008
James S. Fishkin is interviewed by Christopher Lydon. How does the presidential campaign of 2008 rate on three principal measuring sticks — participation, equality and deliberation?
- California Cultures: Power to the People SF Gate 3/2007
San Francisco Chronicle article discusses techniques used to engage Californians more directly in the democratic process.
- The Nation in a Room: Turning Public Opinion into Policy Boston Review 3/2007
How Deliberative Polling® addresses limitations of traditional public opinion polling.
- It’s Their Call Stanford Magazine 1/2006
Chinese Communist Party officials are giving citizens a voice in decision making.
- Magyar Agora 11/2005
For the first time in Hungary TV, radio, internet and press will provide a public space for direct community participation, and for the shaping of citizens’ views.
- Online Deliberation 2005
The Second Conference on Online Deliberation: Design, Research, and Practice, will bring together software developers, social science researchers, and practioners of online deliberation for three days of presentations and workshops on the Stanford University campus.
- Deliberation Day 11/2005
Bruce Ackerman and James Fishkin argue that Americans can revitalize their democracy and break the cycle of cynical media manipulation that is crippling public life.
- NPPD Customer Meeting on Energy Alternatives 8/2003
Nebraska Public Power District invited a scientifically selected sample of its wholesale and retail residential customers to discuss energy alternatives