September 19 – 22, 2019
America in One Room (A1R) is a historic gathering of 500 American voters who will participate in a nonpartisan discussion about the major issues of the 2020 presidential election. The participants—our citizen-delegates—are carefully selected to form an accurate, representative sample of the entire American electorate in all its political, cultural, and demographic diversity.
Over the course of the event, the delegates will learn about the issues; deliberate amongst themselves in a thoughtful, civil, and substantive fashion; and have town-hall discussions directly with presidential candidates. Their views on the issues and the relative merits of the candidates will be documented and shared with the public, candidates, and policymakers, giving a clearer, more balanced, and more informed idea of the political landscape heading into the election.
A1R is organized as a Deliberative Poll®, under the supervision of the Center for Deliberative Democracy at Stanford University. The participants are selected using stratified random sampling, with survey work conducted by NORC at the University of Chicago. A1R will be managed and produced in collaboration with By the People Productions and is a Helena Project. For press inquiries, please contact A1R@sunshinesachs.com.
- Meet the Vermonter who represented the state in a voter dialogue published in NYT Burlington Free Press 10/2019 PDF
- Local reporter participates in national political experiment Gregory Times-Advocate 10/2019
- Bullhead City woman takes part in event to reach across political divide Mojave Valley Daily News 10/2019 PDF
- Middle American – My Experience with American in One Room Hannah Hodges Rivera 10/2019
- Improving Political Discourse (1): Re-learning how to talk about facts across group identities Practical Ethics 10/2019 PDF
- These voters represent all of america The New York Times 10/2019
- Polarized electorate can get along, polling study finds The Daily News (Galveston County) 10/2019
- Government Professor Explores American Democracy in National Polling Project College of the Mainland 10/2019 PDF
- Axios 1 Big Thing: The limits of political tribalism MSNBC 10/2019 MP4
- What Would Happen If American Voters All Got Together And Talked Politics? FiveThirtyEight 10/2019 PDF
- Why Is It Important for People With Different Political Beliefs to Talk to Each Other? The New York Times Learning Network 10/2019
Students 13 and older are asked to comment on the importance of interacting with people of different political beliefs and the America in One Room experiment.
- These 526 Voters Represent All of America: And They Spent A Weekend Together The New York Times 10/2019 PDF
- Opinion: This Experiment Has Some Great News for Our Democracy The New York Times 10/2019 PDF
The idea that our divisions are entrenched and unbridgeable is overstated.
- Field Experiment: What I Learned from Listening to Americans Deliberate The American Interest 9/2019 PDF
Turns out most Americans want the same thing: to be heard and understood.
- Democracy Dies Amid Lies, and So Does Sound Policy Lobe Log 10/2019 PDF
- What happens when America is condensed into one room? Partisanship fades The Christian Science Monitor 10/2019 PDF
- Democracy in America is failing — here’s how we can still make it work Vanity Fair/HIVE 9/2019 PDF
An experiment now under way in Texas is testing a radical proposition: What if voters actually knew what they were talking about?
- North Texas hosts ‘America in One Room’ poll for 2020 presidential election The Dallas Morning News 9/2019 PDF
- Sharon man heads to Texas for a national civic experiment on election Monadnock Ledger-Transcript 9/2019 PDF
- Democracy in America is failing — here’s how we can still make it work Salon 9/2019 PDF
Democracy is supposed to reflect the will of the people. That’s not happening now — but there are ways to fix it.
- Opinion: What if There’s a Better Way to Handle Our Democratic Debate? The New York Times 8/2019 PDF
Americans can have serious and respectful conversations across our deep divides.
- John Dickerson discusses upcoming America in One Room Deliberative Poll Slate’s Political Gabfest 7/2019 MP3