Deliberative Polling®: Japan
Deliberation on Energy Policy
For the first time, the central government introduced Deliberative Polling® to better reflect public opinion in compiling basic policies for nuclear power and other energy sources. The public opinions expressed will be used in deciding basic energy policies.
- Executive Summary: The National Deliberative Poll in Japan, August 4-5, 2012 on Energy and Environmental Policy Options
- Opinion: Asahi Shimbun - 12/27/2012, Yasunori Sone
- Asahi Shimbun - 11/27/2012
- Tokyo Jin - 11/3/2012, Yasunori Sone
- 朝日3 面【「原発0％」に質問集中】
- 毎日 面【原発比率3案揺れる参加者】
- 読売2面【原発比率 揺れる意見】
- Editorial: 'Deliberative polling' is a good 1st step, Asahi Shimbun, 8/2012
- Tokyo Shimbun - 8/6/2012
- Editorial: New Public Opinion Poll: A proposal for development (in Japanese), Asahi Shimbun, 8/2012
- Asahi Shimbun - 2/18/2012
- Mainichi Sengoku Sone - 2/12/2012
- Asahi Shimbun - 2/12/2012
Deliberation on Food Safety
A poll was held in November at Hokkaido University on the subject of on Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) - "Mad Cow Disease".
Deliberative Poll on the Pension System
A Deliberative Poll on was held at Keio University on May 28 and 29, 2011 in Mita, Tokyo. One hundred twenty seven people composed of male, female, and all generations were chosen from randomly selected three thousand people from all over Japan. Some participants were from Iwate, Miyagi, and Fukushima Prefecture therefore turning each classroom into a microcosm of Japan.
The main theme was "Pension System, A Generational Choice." The participants discussed three themes including "Social Insurance Method or All Tax Method" in small groups. At the plenary session, participants asked scholars and specialists a variety of questions related to the theme.
- New Method to Intensify Democracy, Asahi Shimbun, 6/2011
- Mainichi Shimbun - 8/16/2011
- Asahi Shimbun - 7/22/2011
- Iwate Nippo - 6/12/2011
Kanagawa Deliberative Poll on Federalism Reform
The Deliberative Poll has been used for policy making purposes by administrative bodies in America and Europe as a way to hear well informed citizens' opinions, something that conventional polls cannot achieve. The Kanagawa DP is Japan's first attempt.
- Documentary of the Kanagawa Deliberative Poll, Japanese Public Television, 9/2010
- みんなで論じる藤沢の未来 ３０日に市と慶応大学『討論型世論調査, Tokyo Shimbun (Japanese), 1/2010
- A Revolution in Common Sense, Tokyo Shimbun, 1/2010
- Debate by citizens leads to mature opinion: A New method to investigate "true public opinion", Tokyo Shimbun, 1/2010
- 市民討議で意見熟成 『本当の世論』探る新手法 考案者らに聞, Chunichi Shimbun (Japanese), 1/2010
- Kanagawa Deliberative Poll, Governance Journal (Japanese)
- Polling Kanagawa Citizens on Doshusei: Governor Exchanges Opinions about the introduction of "New Methodology", Kanagawa Shimbun (Japanese/English)
- Governor Matsuzawa of Kanagawa Prefecture discusses upcoming Deliberative Poll, Jiji Press (Japanese/English)
- Press Release: Kanagawa Deliberative Poll on federalism reform